Delivery app development was one of the biggest demands in the mobile app industry.
And why not? The ability to get every basic necessity at your home is almost magical.
Who would have thought a few decades ago that it was possible to live without ever stepping out of your home?
Now, due to the pandemic, it has become a requirement.
Luckily, or unluckily, everything has changed post-pandemic and in a manner that suits staying at home.
Because of this, almost all businesses have shifted to the digital world, and delivery app development is a big part of this.
As most people find it convenient to receive products at their homes or workplaces, most startups have implemented the feature of home delivery.
Now that you have also decided to start delivery app development, we will explain to you just how to go ahead with the process.
From the functionalities you need to implement to the technologies you will require, you will understand everything in this blog.
First, let us understand the functioning of a delivery app.
How a Delivery App Works?
|User downloads the app and registers with the necessary details.|
|User searches for products and places orders from the list of available products.|
|User pays for the order with the payment options available.|
|The order is sent to the nearest outlet, where the order is packed.|
|The outlet notifies the delivery app, and a delivery driver is assigned.|
|The delivery driver picks up the order from the outlet and delivers it to the user.|
|The user receives the order and can rate and leave feedback on the app.|
This is how most delivery apps function at their most basic level. Understanding this will make your development process more streamlined.
5 Steps Of Delivery App Development
Now that you know the process of developing a delivery app, let’s understand what steps you will need to take to get started with delivery app development.
1: Create A Scope Of Work Document
This is about everything you want your delivery app to be. Here are the steps to creating the document.
1. Start by creating a high-level overview of the concept, including the purpose of the app and the services it will provide. Consider your target audience and what features would be most useful for them.
2. Create a more detailed storyboard of the user experience. Map out the user journey, from the moment they open the app to the moment they complete their delivery. Include features like payment options and customer support.
3. Develop a comprehensive list of features that the app should have. These might include GPS tracking, real-time order updates, and other features that will make the experience more seamless.
4. Create a list of technical requirements, such as the platforms the app will be available on and the data storage solutions.
5. Develop a timeline for the development of the app. Estimate how long it will take to complete each step of the process, from design to launch.
6. Create a budget for the project. Include any potential costs associated with the app, such as hosting and software licensing fees.
7. Create a plan for marketing and promotion of the app. Consider the channels you will use to reach your target audience and how you will measure the success of your campaigns.
8. Finally, create documentation that outlines each step of the process. This should include a project plan, user stories, wireframes, a feature list, and other details that will provide a clear understanding of the project.
2: Research In & Out About Your Target Audience
Audience research is an important step in launching a successful delivery app.
To ensure that your app resonates with the right people, you will need to do some research to determine who your target audience is and what they are looking for in a delivery app. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Identify your target market: Start by taking some time to think about who you want to target with your delivery app. Consider factors such as age, location, and profession.
2. Research existing apps: Take a look at what other delivery apps are currently available and how they are being used. This can help you identify potential features and design elements to include in your own app.
3. Talk to potential users: Reach out to potential users to get their opinion on what they would like to see in a delivery app. This can be done through focus groups, surveys, or interviews.
4. Analyze user data: Once your app is launched, analyze user data to see how people are using the app and what features they like. This can help you refine and improve the app over time.
By taking the time to do audience research, you can ensure that your delivery app will be tailored to the needs of its users and have a greater chance of success.
3: Snoop On Your Competitors
By researching your audience, you can develop a satisfactory app, but by researching your competitors, you can develop an excellent app.
The goal off successful mobile application development is not just fulfilling the need but also ensuring you are doing it in the best way possible.
Think about it… Why will people download your app when there are better alternatives available?
This is where competitor research comes in the picture.
With competitor research, you will know exactly how to surpass your competitors and position your app correctly. ‘
Here are the steps for effective competitor research:
|Start by making a list of all the other delivery apps out there. It helps to narrow your focus by looking at apps that are specifically in the same industry as yours.|
|Once you have your list, research each app and make notes on their features and functionality. Look at things like pricing structures, user interfaces, delivery options, and more.|
|Analyze your competitors’ strengths and weaknesses. What are they doing well? What areas could they improve?|
|Lastly, pay attention to customer reviews and feedback. What are customers saying about your competitors’ apps?|
Competitor research is an important step in developing a successful delivery app.
By taking the time to do this research, you can learn from your competitors and figure out how to make your own app stand out.
4: Choose The Right Technology
By following these steps, you will be able to choose the right technology for your delivery app:
1. Determine Your App Development Needs
Before choosing the right technology for a delivery app, it is important to understand your business needs and the functionalities you want to include in the app.
Make sure to have a detailed analysis of the app requirements to ensure that the technology you choose is suitable for the purpose.
2. Choose the Development Platform
Once you have identified your app requirements, the next step is to select the development platform. The two main options are native app development and cross-platform development.
Native apps are built for specific operating systems and provide the best performance and user experience.
Cross-platform development involves building apps that can run on multiple operating systems and can be deployed across multiple platforms, such as iOS, Android, and the web.
3. Choose The Right Programming Language
Once you have decided which platform to use, the next step is to select the right programming language.
For native app development, the most common languages are Swift for iOS apps, and Java or Kotlin for Android apps.
For cross-platform development, the most popular languages are React Native, Flutter, and Ionic.
4. Choose The Right Database
The database is an important part of any delivery app.
The most commonly used databases are relational databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, and Oracle, and non-relational databases such as MongoDB and Cassandra.
5. Select The Right Hosting Service
Hosting is an important aspect of any app.
You need to select a hosting service that is reliable, secure, and cost-effective.
Popular hosting services include Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure.
5: Hire Experienced Mobile App Developers
If there was a way to cut your stress in half and make the develop process more streamlined, it would be to hire skilled mobile app developers like WDI.
You can also hire in-house developers, but that would be a disaster if you did not have the technical expertise to guide them.
When you opt for WDI, the leading mobile app developers, you are getting all of the necessary services under one roof. These include:
- Scope of Work Creation
- UI/UX Development
- Wireframes Creation
- Prototype Development
- MVP Development
- App Maintenance & Support
- Digital Marketing
Because of this, you do not have to endure the extra donkey work of having to hire each of the developers individually. Co-ordinating them is an even bigger trouble, especially when they are freelancers.
Secondly, you have to be confident about the technology you are going to use. Otherwise, you might end up regretting hiring a bunch of developers.
With WDI’s mobile app developers, you get all of the major Phone application technologies. These include:
- React Native
We will assist you in selecting the best technology for your delivery app development so that you can create the app of your dreams.
With 23+ years of experience and hundreds of satisfied clients, you are guaranteed excellence.
Do not just take our word for it; we have an amazing portfolio to back it up.
Overall, you are saving a lot of time, resources, and effort by hiring experienced mobile app developers.
How MuchDoes Delivery App Development Cost
If we had to give a range, it would be $50,000—$150,000. However, the cost can exceed this.
You can get a functioning delivery app for less than $50,000, but as far as we can tell, we have not seen a quality app developed for less than that. You might have to compromise on many necessary features, which will hamper your app’s success.
The cost of your delivery app development project will vary depending on the scope of your app. The more complex your app is, the more it will cost.
To get an overview of how Phone application cost is determined, check out our detailed blog on the same: Why Does Mobile App Development Cost So Much in 2023?
Overall, it is safe to say that a good delivery app will not come cheap, but it will also be worth the investment.
By following the above mentioned steps, you can develop a stacking delivery app that will impress your users and investors.
Creating a proper scope of work document, researching your competitors and audience, choosing the right technology, and hiring the best app developers are what you should majorly focus on for delivery app development.
In terms of budget, you can expect it to cost anywhere between $50,000 and $150,000.
To get your delivery app development project handled by experts, contact WDI now!
Share your idea with us, and we will transform it into reality.
Let us build something transformative together!